Have you been referred to an oral surgeon by your dentist and are unsure what that means? You're not alone. When it comes to oral health, many people are unaware of the specialized field of oral surgery. Patients are often referred to an oral surgeon for complicated dental issues, like a misaligned jaw or an impacted molar requiring surgery. Here's a closer look at what an oral surgeon does and the benefits they offer to their patients.
What Is an Oral Surgeon?
Oral surgeons are highly trained and certified dental professionals who specialize in treating a wide range of issues involving the mouth, teeth, and jaw. From wisdom teeth extractions to more complex procedures such as jaw realignment, an oral surgeon can be a great resource for anyone looking for comprehensive dental care.
What Do Oral Surgeons Treat?
Oral surgeons have expertise in both surgical and non-surgical treatments associated with the mouth and jaw, including:
- Wisdom tooth extractions
- Dental implants
- Bone grafting
- TMJ or temporomandibular joint disorder treatment
- Facial trauma repair
- Sleep apnea treatment
- Corrective jaw surgery
- Orthognathic surgery or correction of misaligned jaws
What Are the Benefits of an Oral Surgeon?
Visiting an oral surgeon provides several key advantages over traditional dentists, including:
- Training. Oral surgeons have extensive training in both medical and dental fields, giving them the unique ability to diagnose conditions that regular dentists may not.
- Equipment. Since they have access to specialized equipment like X-rays or CAT scans, which most general dentists do not have, oral surgeons ensure a proper diagnosis is made, allowing you to make informed decisions about treatment plans.
- Specialists. Oral surgeons are dental specialists with greater knowledge in this particular field of medicine.
Additionally, oral surgeons can provide you with a comprehensive plan for your oral health that can help you avoid further complications.
Why Should You See an Oral Surgeon?
If you are experiencing any oral health issue requiring special attention, you should see an oral surgeon. From wisdom tooth extractions to more complex treatments, you can trust an oral surgeon to provide you with the highest quality of care.
An oral surgeon is a great resource for any serious dental issue you may be experiencing. With their specialized training and equipment, you can be sure you are getting the best treatment available for your particular situation. If you think you might benefit from visiting an oral surgeon for treatment purposes related to your teeth or jaw, talk to your dentist or doctor about a referral to an oral surgeon near you.