Visiting your dentist and brushing your teeth are just two things you can do to protect teeth. There are other things your entire family can do, like eating a tasty potato salad with your meal. The following will show you why this potato salad can protect your oral health.
Dental-Friendly Ingredients In Your Potato Salad
Your potato salad will need a little raw honey. Honey is the first ingredient that you need to pay attention to because it has two bacteria-killing properties. The first is it has several naturally-occurring enzymes that help disrupt the reproductive abilities of oral bacteria. The second reason is it is highly osmotic, which means the honey will kill the bacteria in your entire family's mouth through dehydration.
The potato salad will also need some sea salt. Sea salt is important for two reasons as well. First, sea salt is naturally abrasive, so it should help lift stains and the bacterial biofilm from your family's teeth. The other reason is sea salt will rebalance your oral pH balance. This is important because cavity-causing bacteria can only flourish in environments with a low pH value.
The last ingredient you need to pay attention to is the probiotics found in fermented vegetables. The recipe calls for fermented vegetables of your choice, like kimchi or curtido. This ingredient is highly anti-bacterial. Probiotics are microorganisms that feed on oral harmful bacteria.
Remember these ingredients are strong preventative ingredients that can help with your entire family's oral health. But these ingredients are not meant to replace your dentist's advice. You can experiment with these ingredients and integrate them into your family's diet with several of your favorite meals. But, for now, you can start with a potato salad.
Dental-Friendly Potato Salad
- 5 cups of boiled and softened potatoes (you can mash them)
- 3 peeled and chopped hard boiled eggs
- Lemon juice from 1 lemon
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 3 chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 chopped celery stalk
- 3 tablespoons of raw honey
- Your choice of fermented vegetables
- 4 spoonfuls of mayonnaise
- Mix all the ingredients in a big bowl (except for the parsley, basil, fermented vegetables, sea salt and black pepper).
- Add the basil, parsley, sea salt and black pepper to the potato salad. Add them slowly and in small increments until you are satisfied with the taste.
- Add a little of the fermented vegetables and some of the juice to the potato salad.
- Taste, and make adjustments as necessary.
- Chill for at least 2 hours for the best taste, although you can eat it immediately, too.
Enjoy the tooth-friendly potato salad paired with some of your family's favorite meals. As you can see, oral health care can be creative, too. For further suggestions, contact professionals, such as those from Wayne Pediatric Dental Care.